Art in Education

Washington elementary students put in their opinion about art in the classroom.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Art in Education

Carlee Hernandez, Staff Writer

Elementary students have plenty to say about art in their classroom, and their artwork. Their teacher also agrees with how the students feel. They want more time for art, and art in different subjects.

Carolyn Anderson, a 5th grade teacher at Washington Elementary School, feels art isn’t integrated in school, “They don’t do it enough.” said Anderson. Students want their artwork to be presented more, they want parents, teachers and other adults to see their work. Students in Mrs. Anderson’s class have said that they have an art project once a month or every other Friday.

The students of Mrs. Andersons’ class said they wanted more time for art; unsurprisingly, 6 out of 7 students in the class said art isn’t present in school enough.

“ I think we should do it more often so people can see how creative kids can be,” said Eilieen Holcomb, a student in Anderson’s class.

Students want art to appear in class more, they want too see it in their math problems, social studies, and while reading. “ There is no subject it doesn’t fit in.” said Anderson.  Anderson elaborated, saying “you can use it in any subject, to highlight what’s going on. Whether it’s math or looking at social studies, and looking at different kinds of cultures.”

Students felt art could help in other classes. “When we do art it’s going to help us write stories.” said Anber Manhimer, a student in Anderson’s class. Many of the students mentioned that art let them express themselves, how they feel, and how art connects to real life.

Students want to show their parents their art, they say their parents love their work. Some parents, like many others keep them in a box or on the wall. They also like creating art in their free time, not just for education, some dance, doodle, and do arts and crafts at home.

Anderson said that you can tell who appreciates art when they do it spontaneously. “The ones who seek out opportunities to express themselves,” said Anderson. They doodle on other classwork, stay in during recess, or surprise her with art work.

The students want it, the teachers want it, the parents want it, so the question is: will education in art ever be a bigger focus in school?