A Hidden Night at Prom 2017

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Hidden Night at Prom 2017

Chamidae Ford, Writer

A night under strung up lights, upbeat music, and chocolate covered fruit sums up 2017’s prom. A masquerade ball at the beautiful and rustic Maple Hurst Farms encouraged the students to express their creativity and have fun with the face masks.

The prom fashion was on all ends of the spectrum, with full ball gown dresses, the classic skin tight black dress, two pieces, and everything in between. Even the male attendees dressed extravagantly. One student wore a suit covered in a hundred dollar pattern and other wore an american flag patterned suit.

Hitting the dance floor many girls ditched the heels for bare feet or sneakers and the boys left behind their jackets to dance the night away. The DJ kept the crowd excited and dancing by playing a wide selection of popular songs from throughout our high school years. Many students expressed some hesitance when the Junior Senate decided to hire a professional DJ. At many of our dances this year we had had student DJ’s which tended to play more relatable and current music that our student body appreciated. “They have a better understanding on what people want to hear” said ASB president Molly Wilson. Many students went into prom slightly concerned about what type of music would be blasting through the speakers all night. If the packed dance floor is anything to go by the DJ was a hit! Junior Gabe Mcguire liked this years DJ because “He played the classics and the songs everyone knew. He also played songs people requested.” Switching between many genres and different languages, he kept everyone interested while also using directional songs like the Cupid Shuffle and the Cha Cha Slide to include even the more hesitant dancers.

Prom also managed to have something for everyone, even people who prefer not to dance. Outside there was a bonfire with chairs and equipment for s’mores that was constantly surrounded by students looking for a quieter and cooler area to chat with their friends. Mcguire mentioned how the outdoor aspect added a sense of “freedom” and an “old school” vibe, just what is needed for the last formal of the year.