Student DJ Interview

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student DJ Interview

MVHS students dressed up for our Hawaiian themed Tolo.

Skagina

Skagina

Skagina

Tolo has always been traditionally DJed by a paid professional. Our school would, on average, spend around $500 on a dance. Students at MVHS were never particularly impressed by these paid DJ’s. Chamidae Ford, senior, described some of them to be “unrelatable and boring”. Another student, Ashley Sullivan, junior, described the previous homecoming incident, where the DJ showed up about an hour late, as “unprofessional”. Is paying for a DJ beneficial when the money could go towards other school activities instead?

This year there has been an upgrade to  Mount Vernon High School dances. The year was kicked off with a pep dance that followed the Battle of the Bridge. This dance was DJed by Matthew Dahlstrom and Quincy Nzokah. The outside pep dance was a huge success and really showed some bulldog pride. After the pep dance, a new era of DJing had been launched into action at Mount Vernon. Students continue to DJ and crowds love it.. Dahlstrom and Nzokah helped DJ homecoming and DJed Winter Ball. Peter Sullivan volunteered to DJ the pep dance that followed the Neon Out boys basketball game. Students flooded onto the dance floor, happily supporting their friends DJ dances.

This years Tolo was DJed by Connor Nelson a sophomore. Tolo, also known as Sadie Hawkins, is traditionally an informal school dance built around the idea that girls ask guys. This years Tolo was put on by Sophomore Senate and held in the gym on February 10th from 8-11pm. The theme of tolo was hawaiian and students could be seen enthusiastically wearing leis, grass skirts, and floral printed shirts. Nelson is only a sophomore but he somehow still managed to work his way up the musical food chain at MVHS.

Nelson was chosen because he knew some of the students on Sophomore Senate who were putting on tolo. Nelson stated that he already knew how to use the equipment from ASB so he was a good candidate for the job. “My favorite style of music is melodic rap which is just rap that has a melody to it instead of just rap the entire time.” Nelson was obviously aware of the crowd while he DJed, “The crowds favorite songs are usually hype music which is really upbeat and hard rap. The crowd really enjoys songs like Bad and Boujee, but I can’t play most of those songs because they aren’t school appropriate. So I try my best with other approved rap, popular pop, and throwback r&b songs.” Nelson also brought up the controversial topic on why a student DJ is better than a paid DJ.“I think what made this tolo unique was that it was student DJed. I feel this makes it more enjoyable because I have a better idea of what students like compared to a paid DJ who is coming into our school not knowing anything about the environment or students.” A payed DJ would clearly get a lot of money, but now not only is our school saving money, but putting it towards other things. “The money I made during the dance will go towards sophomore senate’s budget and will be going towards ASB until all of the equipment gets paid back. This is usually why payed DJ’s are so expensive because their equipment is really expensive.” Luckily this year ASB bought their own equipment so they can host dances more frequently and for practically no cost!

If you had a good time at Tolo and are waiting for your next opportunity to get on the dance floor you can always look forward to our next school dance, Prom. Prom will be held at Maplehurst barn on April 22nd from 8 to 11pm. This dance will not be student DJed, but we must show optimism towards this paid DJ. Even if the music isn’t always your taste you can always dance the night away with your closest friends.